Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Kids (1995)

Directed by Larry Clark, I have to believe "Kids" is my favorite of his works. Kids is a drama based in New York City in the mid-nineties depicting a day in the life of, yes, a few 'kids'. The absolute innocence of the title begins to paint the disturbing albeit realistic image this film strives for. From the first scene to the very last, jaws will be dropped. If you are looking for a happy ending, then don't look this way. If you are looking for a hard-hitting social commentary detailing the crude and callous possibility of modern day life minus the Hollywood sugarcoat, then Kids is very much for you.

Everything in this movie just screams brilliance. The acting in this film really outdoes most others. The dialogue is so well-written and well-executed that I am hard pressed to find any other film that fully envelops you into this world of modern teenage nihilism. The actors are so believable that you begin to feel as though you are right there with them talking and laughing. A wonderfully thought out soundtrack a lively and graceful dynamic that pans throughout the entire film, further throwing you into these kids' world.

You will laugh and you may even cry. I don't wish to give away any details; I hate spoilers and I hate when others ruin films for me. If you want to see a gripping drama that will make you think, even disgust or offend you, see this film.

Rating: 8.0/10

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I've never seen the film before. S'pose I should add it to my "to watch" list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete